Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Skinny Lemon and Poppy seed Muffins

Usually, I am skeptical about recipes on product placement pieces in magazines.  I usually view them as something created to make you buy a product you wouldn't normally, to make something you wouldn't normally.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, it just breeds a sense of cynicism in me.  I don't know therefore if it is because I have an inherent trust of Waitrose that they would not put something awful in their magazine (and those who are not fans of Pippa Middleton, please refrain from commenting) or because these looked bloody yummy!  Either way I gave them a go, and my goodness they were fabulous.


The only changes I have made to this recipe are the quantity of lemon rind, juice and poppy seeds which went in.  I like citrus cakes to be really flavoursome and I did not feel the quantities in the recipe would give it the flavour I crave.

Ingredients:
225g Plain Flour
2 tbsp Baking Powder
140g Caster Sugar
Grated zest of 1 Lemon
25g Poppy seeds
Juice of half a Lemon (keep the other half for icing if you wish)
1 Egg
245g Plain Yoghurt (I used Alpro Simply Plain plant-based yoghurt alternative as advertised)
100g Melted Butter (I used Lurpak Lightest)

Method:
Ready for the Oven
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line an 8 hole tray with muffin cases (mine only has 6 so I had to bake them in two batches)

Mix all the dry ingredients together

Melt the butter and add mix all the wet ingredients together then mix with dry ingredients

Spoon mixture into muffin cases and cook for 30 mins

If you wish to ice them, leave for 20 mins to cool then mix juice of leftover lemon half with icing sugar to your desired consistency and then drizzle on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment