Monday, 29 July 2013

Chicken Harira with Spinach and Lemon

This recipe is inspired (heavily pillored but changed from) a recipe from the Waitrose Magazine. I have made it several times now, each slightly differently however I feel this is it's most successful incarnation.

A chicken harira is a middle-eastern style stew but which in some ways reminded me of a risotto. It was filling, nutritious and less than 500 calories for dinner! A real winner!



Ingredients:
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Small bunch fresh coriander
2 tbsp garlic puree
2 tbsp ginger paste
1 Lemon
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 onion
500g tinned tomatoes
100g Bulgar Wheat
250g torn chicken breast
100g spinach
1 tbsp creme fraiche (low fat)
200ml chicken stock

Method:
Heat the oil and fry the coriander and other spices then add the onion then the tomatoes and bulgar wheat and chicken stock.  Chop the Lemon and add to the pan.  Simmer for 15mins. Stir in the chicken and spinach.  Serve with 1 tbsp creme fraiche per person.

Calories per serving: 400kCal

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious! I've been meaning to buy bulgar wheat to cook myself as I've only had it in store bought salads or at restaurants. I'm just eating my way through the carbs I already have atm then I'll add it to my shopping list. I'll be sure to try this recipe when I do!

    C x | gymbagsandgladrags.com

    ReplyDelete